Saturday, August 9, 2014

WINTER BREAK (part three)

June 11, 2014...Next on my travel itinerary was a visit to St. Joseph's Seminary in Kaengesa, Sumbawanga. I had been friends with the late Fr. Revocatus Ndasi, Rector of the seminary, who passed away in 2011, from injuries sustained in a car accident. During my visits with Fr. Ndasi at the seminary in 2008 and 2010, I also became friends with Fr. Cosmas Makasi, the Vice-Rector of the seminary. Fr. Makasi was one of the many priests who came to Mvimwa Abbey to con-celebrate at the funeral mass of Br. Barnabas. After the luncheon, Fr. Makasi and I left for Sumbawanga Town, with a few other guests, to stay at the Libori Center, a lodging facility run by the diocese. There was another funeral mass the next day for an elderly diocesan priest at the cathedral in town.
Libori Center Lobby

Lobby

Libori Center courtyard









































Lobby








 I was behaving like a tourist when we dined at the center, because I was so impressed with the artwork on the walls  that I couldn't control myself...I had to take photos! I appreciated Fr. Makasi's tolerance of my strange behaviour. He didn't even move to another table when I asked if I could take a photo of our "fish and chips"!

Artwork in the dining room

Fish & chips


















Following the funeral mass at the cathedral, Fr. Makasi and I visited the orphans at St. Martin de Porres Orphanage in town. The orphanage was founded by the White Sisters from Europe about 50 years ago, but was taken over by the Sumbawanga diocese about 12 years ago. Sr. Marietta explained to us that when a mother dies in childbirth, the procedure is that the center takes the baby until he/she reaches 2 years of age. At this time a family member is supposed to take the child into their care but, unfortunately, many times the children are forgotten and remain at the orphanage. Sr. Marietta is one of three sisters who run the center, with the help of a few volunteers who work mostly with the infants. There are currently 48 children at the center, ranging in age from 2 weeks to 12 years. More than half of the residents are infants. The orphanage is operated with very limited funding from the diocese. Fr. Makasi and I were quite surprised when we stopped at the gate of the orphanage and three little boys ran to open it for us. I think the oldest was about 6 years old. They were SO excited to see us! I guess they don't get many visitors. There were so many children holding our hands and touching my arms, that I could hardly walk! I was so moved by the patience and care that was given to these children. We went back again the next day for another visit and brought along a few necessary supplies. Thank God there are such loving, caring individuals as these women!


Entrance to the orphanage

Sr. Marietta

Some of the happy residents!
































































Volunteers helping with the infants. The baby on the left is 2 weeks old.



















Next on the journey is St. Joseph Seminary...home of 300 students, hopefully some of whom will go on to the major seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment