Wednesday, August 6, 2014

MVIMWA ABBEY(part two of winter break)

June 7, 2014...Abbot Denis and I left St. Benedict House at 6am and were on the bus, headed for Sumbawanga, by 6:30. While we were traveling on the bus from Mbeya to Sumbawanga, I was trying very hard to relax and enjoy the ride. The view of the mountain landscapes were really breathtaking, when I was brave enough to look! Unfortunately, my fears often got the best of me and I found myself petrified, praying that the disasters I was envisioning wouldn't come true. I thanked God when we arrived safely at the Benedictine House in Sumbawanga for lunch. After lunch we rode by private car another 1.5 hours to Mvimwa Abbey. When we arrived at the Abbey, we learned that Br. Barnabas, one of the monks who is a member of the Abbey, had been traveling from Sumbawanga to Mbeya that same day. The bus he was traveling in was parked on one of the mountain roads when it was struck by a truck. The brakes on the truck had failed as it was coming down the hill. The bus was in its path. Br. Barnabas was one of three people killed in the crash. I had the pleasure of meeting Br. Barnabas in Dar es Salaam in 2010. He was the guest master there at St. Placidus House, and was such a pleasant person.



 I felt so sad for all of the monks, as they tried to process this huge loss to their community. The following day was Pentecost Sunday, a special feast day for the abbey because the patron of the abbey is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Mass was a beautiful celebration, in spite of the air of sadness throughout the church. Following the mass and a quiet breakfast, the big task of cleaning up the grounds began. The monks knew there would be a large gathering of people for this sad occasion.

Pentecost Sunday Mass

















Father Abbot Denis
Br. Gwalbert (founder of abbey in 1979) & Abbot Denis
Jean with Br. Gregory - monk who made sure the guest's needs were met
I was so grateful and impressed because, in spite of all that was going on, many of the monks made sure to find time to show me around and see that I had a nice visit. My close friend, Fr. Lawrence, took me all around the grounds and explained many of the operations of the monastery. Even though I had visited Mvimwa Abbey in 2008, there was still much I hadn't seen and some new additions.
Jean with Fr. Lawrence Ntiyakila OSB

Many banana plantations
Banana winery & store run by local women


















As the day of the funeral approached, food preparations began. Many of the local people, as well as visiting religious sisters, helped with the preparations. 




















On Tuesday evening, the body of Br. Barnabas arrived at the abbey. 


















The funeral mass followed on Wednesday, the feast of St. Barnabas, the apostle! I was honored to be part of this whole experience...to witness such love and dedication to a fellow brother.





Eternal rest grant unto him, Oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment