Wednesday, August 6, 2014

HOME VISITS


When students ask me to go to their homes for a visit, I’m never sure where that might take me. I know the children walk to school, so I assume I should be able to walk the distance. Shalo and Casi are twins, as far as we know at Shaloom. They had asked me a number of times to go to their home but I was a little reluctant because I knew their grandmother brewed local beer as a source of income for the family.There was no telling what I might encounter during a visit. After much consideration, I decided it wasn't fair to Shalo and Casi for me to avoid visiting their home while I had visited some of the other student's homes. I knew I was in for an adventure the day I decided to go. All along the way, Casi told me the distance to their home was quite far, and she asked me if I was really going to walk all the way?! I thought, I should be able to do this. Why not? Well, the more we walked, the more I realized Casi's concern for me. We walked to the peak of the mountain in the photo above before we arrived at their home. It was necessary for me to ask the children to stop a couple of times along the way so I could catch my breath and drink a little water. The grandmother, aunt and uncle, whom I met when I arrived, apologized profusely for my "climb". After all the praying I did along the way, I was sure to thank God I arrived without any disasters.

While I was visiting, I noticed how much responsibility Casi had with regard to the chores. She was sweeping the area around the house while also carrying her little cousin on her back. Her aunt had told her to put him to sleep, and that's the way it's done here. She walked around, swaying back and forth, until Shadrock was fast asleep. I felt kind of sad for Casi but she did seem to enjoy caring for the little guy, and she is basically a happy girl. I guess the situation could be much worse.


Casi & Shadrock
I think the distillery where the beer is brewed is in a different location, apart from the family home. There were no unpleasant experiences, other than the climb. I enjoyed the visit and was served beans, rice and soda! Most of the time dagaa (small fish) and ugali (corn meal & water) are served. Dagaa is my least favorite food here, and ugali is probably second. The climb back down the mountain wasn't near as bad as I expected either. I didn't fall, even once!



I've been to visit with Omari's family a couple of times. They live about a mile from my house, and the climb isn't near as steep as the one to Shalo and Casi's house! Omari lives with his Mama mdogo (aunt) and her three children. She just gave birth to the third child on July 18th. Her parents and sister had come from Ukerewe Island to help after the birth. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to hold the little one while I was visiting. I was surprised to learn the baby hadn't been named yet, and she was already a week old. There is a tradition that was explained to me by the mother, as to why the baby hadn't been named yet but I wasn't able to understand all of the explanation. It had something to do with the culture, or their religion.   I wasn't as fortunate during lunch at Omari's house. I was served dagaa and ugali! Because I was Omari's guest, only him and I ate lunch together first, on separate plates! Usually, all the children eat from one plate and the adults share another, at least in the less fortunate families. Kevy, Omari's little 2 year old cousin, sat next to me while I ate and continually asked me, "Umeshiba?", which means, "are you full yet?". He loves to eat, and he really loves dagaa!! I think the thing that bothers me the most about dagaa is it's cooked and served whole...head, tail, eyes and all. With all the dagaa I've eaten up until now, I've never gotten sick from it and I've even been told it contains nutritional value! That's what I try to think about with each "crunchy" bite!
Mama mdogo is in the center, Omari is on the right, Kevy is in the back



















Omari is in the slower group in our kindergarten class so his aunt has asked me to tutor him. I agreed to work with him twice a week after our regular class. Since Omari lives near me, we take the bus together and he comes to my house for lessons. He also enjoys using the modern conveniences I have at my house...running water, inside toilet, dining table, chairs. I think he's making better progress now that he's getting a little extra attention.
Protection from the sun walking home

Puzzle lesson at my house

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing the pictures that go with your posts. That was a long climb up the hill. It sounds/looks like you are having a great time. Be safe. Talk with you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete