Saturday, May 11, 2013

BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!
 
View of Lake Victoria
 
 
I should begin by introducing Krystina. She was the Shaloom preschool teacher for the past two years. If you view the May 10th posting, she is pictured in the class photo between Rehema and me. Before Krystina left Mwanza to return to the U.S. she took me up the mountain behind our house to show me the spectacular view. We hiked up the rocky, narrow paths, passing a number of small homes along the way. When we reached the summit, the view was spectacular! It seems that most of Mwanza is rock. Everywhere you look throughout the area, you see rocks of all sizes. But this place was the most amazing! It's been named "Jiwe Kuu", which translates "Great Stone". It's such an understatement! I actually got lost walking around on the rock. It's actually a large number of huge rocks forming a multi-dimensional rock. A different view of Lake Victoria, and the surrounding villages, could be seen from each vantage point. A couple of the families who have homes along the path, who are friends of Krystina's, traveled along with us up to Jiwe Kuu. They are pictured here.
 
Mama Christina & her twins, Mama Dyness with her
daughter & another unknown local woman (I'm in the middle)


Mama Dyness with her three children
standing in front of their home
Another home along the mountain path

View from Jiwe Kuu standing near the edge
View of Lake Victoria & surrounding villages

Another village from a different vantage point


2 comments:

  1. Incredible pictures! It all looks so beautiful! What an experience this must be for you, and for the locals that have you for them!

    Love you,

    Ken Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ken, God takes us places we never dreamed of when we open ourselves up to His will. I miss the family terribly but I know, right now, God wants me here. The experience has been awesome and I'm grateful to have this opportunity. I hope, once I've learned the language, that I'm really able to make a difference. Even if it's only for a single person, it will be worth it. I love you!

    ReplyDelete