Tuesday, December 30, 2014

FAMILY OF OUR WATCHMAN

Mama Dani just 2 days before giving birth to Joakim
I've become pretty good friends with the watchman of our new church, and his family. I know the watchman's name is Dionis, or better known as Baba (father) Dani, but I only know his wife as Mama Dani. It is the custom of both men and women in Tanzania, to take the name of their first born child, whether it be a boy or a girl, and carry that name indefinitely. That is not their legal name but it is the name used by anyone who knows them. Baba Dani worked as a watchman for our SMA compound before construction of the new church began. During that time I became friends with his wife and son. I did a posting on this blog of Dani's first birthday in February, which was celebrated in the container which is now used for the storage of building materials.

When Mama Dani brought home their second child from the hospital, I had come to their home for a visit, not knowing yet that she had given birth. Dionis' bibi (grandmother) was staying at the house with little Dani and she shared the good news with me. I was happy to be able to hold the brand new baby when he was first brought home. 
Joakim with Great grandmother (Dionis' grandmother)


Photo was a gift from Dionis' cousin




































We are all sitting in the house of Mama and Baba Dani. The house has only one room. This room has a double bed and a table. All of Mama Dani's dishes are piled up at the foot of the bed and their clothes are stacked on the table. The whole family sleeps in the bed. When a guest stays over, Dionis sleeps on a mat on the floor.

About a week after the baby was born, Dionis came to my house and asked which name I liked for the baby. I said, well, since he was born on the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Aug. 15), he should be named in honor of that. The father of Our Blessed Mother is named Joakim, so I said I liked that name. The next time I went to their house for a visit, I was told that they had named the baby the name I chose. I felt very honored!





Joakim's grandmother (Mother of Mama Dani)
Dani holding his new brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother (picture taken 12/5)

 At first, Dani didn't know what to think of his little brother, who was taking all of his mother's attention. Now, he's grown quite fond of him and tries often to hold or carry him whenever the opportunity presents itself. It makes me laugh to see how Dani tries to carry Joakim the traditional way.



No comments:

Post a Comment