Saturday, September 27, 2014

LAUNDRY DAY!

Ravina (Mama Ana) has been washing my laundry since June of 2013. I appreciate her help so much! I didn't realize how very much until last month! 

The oldest brother of Ravina's husband passed away and it was necessary for Ravina, Venant (her husband) and the children to travel 125 miles by boat to the home of Venant's family. They were gone for a month! With the absence of the oldest brother, Venant had to help his mother get household things in order. 

I understood why they had to be away for so long but I didn't know what to do about the laundry. I had tried to do it myself when I first arrived here but things started looking grayer and grayer as time went on. I just didn't have the knack, or the strength in my hands, like the local women and girls do. I didn't want to hire another woman to come and help. Ravina does such a great job with the washing, and I would have felt I was betraying her if I were to bring in someone new. I finally started washing things myself, but only the things that absolutely needed to be washed! I've always washed undergarments myself, anyway, so that wasn't a problem. But anything bigger than that is a problem for me! I managed to make my three bath towels last for a month! And the kitchen towels and bedsheets were also looking pretty sad by the time Ravina came home!
hanging the mosquito net
















The girls in Tanzania learn how to wash clothing at a very young age. One of the "down sides" to washing clothing and bedding this way is things wear out quite a bit faster, not to mention the toll it takes on the back! Everything gets hung inside out to prevent dirt, dust and anything else that might come along, to undo all the hard work. Luckily I have a lot of clothesline space, although occasionally Mama Ana needs to lay hand towels or rags on top of the bushes because she runs out of clothesline space. 


Kelement wants to see the picture as soon as its taken!
Another aspect of laundry day that I really enjoy is having Ana and Kelement over for a visit. They are really so much fun! Ana goes to school most laundry days, but Kelement is always with his mother when she comes. The kids call me Bibi, which means Grandmother. Kelement is actually helping me with the language. He is learning quickly, but still talks slow enough that I am able to pick words up much easier than when an adult talks. Ana talks pretty fast and she isn't as patient with me when I don't understand what she's trying to tell me, or ask me. Kelement looks at me kind of funny, if I don't answer right away, and then he just laughs. I love it!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment