Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MY NEIGHBORS

 
Ravina, Klementi, Ana and Venant
I'd like to introduce my neighbors, Venant and Ravina, and their children Ana and Klementi. I met Venant when I first arrived in Mwanza. He is the catechist for one of the SMA parish outstations, which is across the street from the SMA compound where I live. Right now masses at this outstation are being celebrated in one of the Kitangiri Secondary School classrooms. Very soon construction will begin on the church, which will be built on SMA property just behind our compound. Venant keeps very busy preparing young people for the sacraments, and assisting the priests. All of the items needed for the mass are stored at the priest's house. These items are carried over to the classroom each Sunday morning by Venant and a few of the children in the parish.

              Venant helps set up for the mass

 
                                                                          Venant prepares the readings

Entrance to the classroom where Sunday masses are  celebrated
 

                                                                               Site for the new SMA parish church
 
Venant is also an electrician. Shortly after I arrived, Krystina and I needed a couple of bad sockets replaced in our house so we hired Venant. He told us which supplies to purchase and then he came to our house as soon as we had purchased what was needed. He had the job done in no time at all! Kyrstina asked him how much he wanted for the work and he very shyly said 2,000 shillings, which is about $1.25. Krystina and I were really surprised so we gave him a little more, and he was so grateful! His services aren't required very often because most people in Bwiru, where we live, don't have electricity in their homes. In fact, not even Venant and Ravina have electricity in their home. They don't have many material things and no luxuries, but they are the happiest, kindest people you could ever meet. I remember the first time I was invited to go to their home. Venant told me his house was located on the path to Jiwe Kuu, the great rock. He sounded so proud to have his own house, which he managed to have built for his family. I had seen many of the homes along that path and wondered which one was theirs. I was a little surprised when he showed me which one it was. The house is built into a steep hill with rocks all around. It is necessary to climb rocks to get into the house but they seem quite content with their home, and I was happy to be their guest. The view from their home is almost as spectacular as the view from Jiwe Kuu!
 
The front of the house with the dog houses in the background.
 

 The view from the house. In the distance is Lake Victoria.
 
I needed some help with washing the bedding and curtains in my place so I hired Ravina to help. Because laundry is done outside in buckets, I'm not near as capable of washing the bigger pieces as Ravina is. Her hands are much more accustomed to this work, and she was pleased that I asked for her help. The first time she helped me she didn't want to take any money but I insisted, and now we have a regular schedule set for every other week. The arrangement helps both of us.
 
On Christmas I wanted to do something for the family. I asked Venant if it would be okay if I brought a gift for each of the kids. He said that would be fine. A straw hat that I had purchased for myself in Musoma was too small for me so I decided to give that to Ana, and I picked up a couple of plastic race cars for Klementi. I brought the gifts over to the children and they were so happy! Both of the kids played with the cars all during my visit, which was most of the afternoon!



  
The family has also helped me a lot with the language. Although Venant speaks a little English, Ravina and the children speak only Kiswahili. I've been spending quite a bit of time with Ravina and the children so I have many opportunities to use what I've learned in language school. I also gave Ravina a small English/Kiswahili phrase book because she would like to learn English, too, and I can help her with that. The other day I was visiting their home and Venant was helping me translate a children's book. Klementi will be two years old in February so he's just learning to talk and feed himself. It's funny that both of us are learning the language at the same time but I have a feeling he's going to be a much better Kiswahili speaker than I am! I enjoyed watching him try to feed himself. He's so patient and careful about not wasting any food. But he's going to have to learn to eat a little faster or Ana's going to get most of the food!
 



 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Dear Jean,
    What a beautiful blog. Thank you for your great spirit and work and loving service, making life so much better for your students and their families.
    Love from All, T

    ReplyDelete