Friday, October 4, 2013

EPHETA CENTRE


On the shores of Lake Victoria, and just a short walk from Makoko Language School, is a retreat center called Epheta Centre, which is run by the Capuchin Fathers and Brothers (friars). This center is very well maintained, with a variety of flowers, trees and plants.  The environment is quiet and very conducive to studying or relaxing. There are many concrete tables with seats available for reading or eating. Although the friars are often busy with the maintenance of the property, they are very friendly and welcoming. There are four friars currently residing at the center. Some of the students from the language school attend Sunday mass at Epheta Center. Sometimes the students are invited to join the friars for breakfast in their dining room after mass.
 



 

                                                                             Brother Jerome (Capuchin friar)
 

Many times we find groups of young children visiting the lake. Since water isn't available in most homes, the children take advantage of these visits to bathe in the lake. Unfortunately, Lake Victoria is known to be infected with parasitic worms which can cause a disease called bilharzia. The parasites that cause bilharzia live in certain types of freshwater snails. You can become infected when your skin comes in contact with contaminated water, at which time the worms can penetrate the skin. It has been highly recommended that no one enter the waters of Lake Victoria, especially during the hours of 9am to 4pm. Many people in the villages around Lake Victoria either are unaware of the dangers of swimming in the lake, or just ignore the warnings because of a lack of any other water source. 
 
 
Each day I walk to Epheta, I'm greeted by these two little children. They live along the path I take to the lake and they run up to me, grab my hands and walk along with me. We talk a little but mostly they just chatter along like little kids do and I have no idea what they're saying. I don't even know their names because they have African names and I can't understand them when they tell me. They don't seem to mind, though, that I don't understand. They're just happy to get a little attention, I think. The kids here make the most of any little thing they can find to play with. This little girl has a plastic bag on her head. Not a good idea by our standards but I didn't have the heart to take it from her.
 




Most every day that I visit Epheta, I find the "kenge" walking along the sea wall. The kenge is a cross between a lizard and an alligator. The largest one we've seen so far has been about five feet long. They waddle a little like a duck. I've never felt threatened by any of them but I've been told that if they feel threatened by humans, they will swing their tale at whoever is in their path and their tails are quite strong. I don't think it's life threatening, though. I enjoy watching them but I keep a good distance.
 
     Kenge
 

 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved these pictures this a a very beautiful place. I did get a little chuckle when you talked about the two little children that meet you on your path. You fit right in Jean. Hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne. I'm doing very well, except I miss the family. I knew I would but now it's become reality. They're really supportive, though, for the most part and I keep in close contact with my daughters. Maybe you could show Colleen how to view the blog. She sent me an email but said she hasn't figured out how to view the blog yet. I was sorry to hear she's having a hard time with other things, too. I hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete